Oftentimes we hear the phrase “stay grounded”. While this phrase does mean to stay connected to your roots from which you’ve emerged, it also means to maintain a deep connection to Mother Earth who we are all a part of. Similar to your own birth mother, we should also be grateful to Mother Earth as she endows us with – crops to feed on, land to sit and sleep on, and above all (unlike other planets) a safe shelter to reside in.
What better way to express one’s gratitude than through meditation? A simple yet effective act of closing your eyes and opening your mind. A way to be thankful to the divine for everything around us that we tend to ignore in our busy routines. We should be especially thankful for the earth, the ground that bears the burden of the entire world on its shoulders. Below we present a short grounding meditation script (also known as earth meditation script) to help you feel and stay grounded. Don't let it's shortness fool you though, this is a powerful meditation!
What is Grounding?
Grounding is the act of pulling energy from our environment, taking care that we do not shed off our own. We all have enormous energy (both positive and negative) which must remain balanced. When we unload too much of any kind of energy into the environment, there are bound to be repercussions. Grounding meditation helps you to stay centered as it keeps this energy in balance and, most important, stay connected with the revered Mother Earth.
How to Prepare for Grounding Meditation?
As the name explains, this particular meditation is ideally carried out above the earth, literally. Therefore, it is recommended to complete it barefoot. You can do it directly on land, on the beach or even in a meadow, or wherever you feel the most comfortable and connected to nature.
The scientific reason to why it should be done barefoot is that shoes generally have rubber soles, which tend to cut off the electric flow of energy from the body to the earth. Being barefoot, on the other hand, helps enhance this connection with the omnipresent and eternal healing power of the earth, deepening the resulting effects of the meditation. Besides, staying barefoot is an ancient practice carried out by the early men, which made them feel more rooted and connected to Mother Earth.
Free Grounding Meditation Script
Below are the steps to carry out grounding meditation. Remember, just like any other meditative practice, it will yield the desirable effects when given sufficient time. Doing it hurriedly is neither relaxing nor helpful.
- Stand on the ground barefoot with your feet parallel to your shoulders. Keep the tips of your feet slightly pointed inward. Doing so, your knees would be slightly bent with your kneecaps in line with the tip of the foot.
- Keep the upper half of your body and the hips erect. However, the hips should feel loose. Leave your arms hang by the side of your body. Keep your head straight and in line with the rest of your body.
- Let your facial features stay loose and relaxed. You may open your mouth slightly and close it back to normal. This helps to find which part of the face muscles are experiencing tension.
- Rotate the neck gently to relax the torso.
- Close your eyes and make a few neck rotations, imagine a vertical axis, a thread-like object entering the top of the head, moving along the spine, and then falling to weight via the center of the hip and pelvic area on to the ground.
- Start breathing slow and deep, bringing your attention to every breath as you do so. However, the attention must be natural and effortless; simply observing each breath as it goes in and out.
- Stay in the rooting position for a minute or two before starting a circular breathing pattern, with no pause or break between inhaling and exhaling.
- As you do so, gently bring your attention to the spine area, which is erect, focusing the energy of the first chakra, your root. Then move on to the feet as they’re placed firmly on the ground.
- Imagine that from your feet below start growing roots upward, they slowly rise and intertwine around your legs. As you feel so, imagine yourself turning into a tree, feel your own body heat and energy getting even stronger and prominent. Imagine the power of the Mother Earth rising and passing through this tree and flowing straight into yourself. Feel this flow and try to control it with your breathing.
- Once you feel well-rooted, gently shift the focus along with your hands on the fourth chakra. Now whenever you feel ready, take a deep breath and slowly open your eyes.
Tips for Amplifying Your Grounding Experience
Be grateful all the while you meditate. Thank Mother Earth for all that you receive from her every minute of the day. Keep a gentle smile on your face as you practice this meditation as it will feel more enjoyable and beautiful. It also helps to connect the human body to the divine faster.
Choose a time and place that suits you the best. Different people feel relaxed and at ease with themselves at different times of the day, which is perfectly ok. Choose your own timing but try to practice at the same time for best results. Also, choose a place and time where you are unlikely to get distracted.
Invest enough time into the practice, especially if you are a beginner. Once you get better with practice, you can choose your own time limit for the same. Meditation is an art that deserves regular practice for perfection.