Today we'll talk about the 7 chakras, their role in our bodies, and the the way doing a chakra meditation helps those chakras. Also, and the real reason you're here, a detailed guided chakra meditation script so that you can enjoy the numerous benefits of activating each of your chakras. But first a brief intro on chakras:
What are Chakras?
The word “chakra” is derived from Sanskrit, literally translating to wheel or disk in English. However, in the spiritual sense, the same word is used to refer to a focal energy point or center in the human body. These energy centers generally relate to specific body organs and are considered responsible for invigorating these body parts. They also help regulate the smooth flow of 'prana' life force energy into the body, the very force that keeps us alive and kicking!
How Many Chakras are Present in the Body?
Your body consists of 7 chakras, all of which facilitate your physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual well-being. Your chakras are named as follows:
- Muladhara Chakra or Root Chakra – situated at the tip of the tailbone
- Svadhishthana Chakra or Sacral Chakra – situated approx. 1 inch below the level where the pubic hairline begins
- Manipura Chakra or Navel Chakra – situated at the navel
- Anahata Chakra or Heart Chakra – situated in the middle of the chest
- Vishuddha Chakra or Throat Chakra – situated in the throat area
- Ajna Chakra or Brow Chakra – situated at the midpoint between the two eyebrows
- Sahasrara Chakra or Crown Chakra – energy point situated at the tip of the skull
What is chakra meditation?
Since these 7 chakras play a pivotal role in harmonizing the energy flows in and out of the body, it’s important to keep them balanced. Chakra meditations can be extremely helpful for this. This spiritual practice aims to release negative energy out of the body, purifying your chakra's 'base points' in the process. In other words, chakra meditation helps restore balance and positive energy into all the 7 chakras.
Chakra Meditation Script
If you’ve never done a chakra meditation before, this guided script is a great way to get started. Be sure to practice this at a time when you are comfortable and unrushed. Like any other meditation, chakra meditation take times and regular practice to get just right and reap its maximum benefits.
- Sit comfortably either on the floor or on a chair, couch, or bed – basically anywhere that makes you feel at ease with yourself and keeps you pain-free for a while.
- Imagine that a ray of light is entering from the crown of your head, where the 7th chakra, the Crown Chakra, is situated. This chakra goes right down through the central energy channel, parallel to the spine, on to the 1st chakra, the Root Chakra.
- Now vividly imagine this beam slowly turning red and covering the first chakra. Take a deep breath as you keep your attention fixed on the point where this chakra is located. Imagine that the air you inhale and exhale is also red in color. Really try to see it with all the details.
- Start visualizing how the Root Chakra is gradually releasing all the negative and stagnant energy from the body and making way for a fresh flow of positive energy.
- Now imagine this energy moving up to the second chakra, below the navel area. Think of it as an orange-colored light – pure energy. Imagine mentally cleaning this energy to unblock it of all negativity and making it spin around.
- Now moving on the third chakra for which you focus on the color yellow. Imagine that the color is growing in intensity and allow yourself to feel its strong vibrations in each part of your body. Imagine that you’re able to breathe the color yellow. Imagine yourself getting filled up with this color as you feel its clarity and growing awareness deep inside, making you feel stronger and more confident than ever before.
- Move up to the 4th body chakra. Breathe in a very pure emerald green light and feel it entering your body. Imagine it settling down and then again expanding into your heart. Make an effort to expand this light further from your heart into your entire being. Let the light envelop you,imagine the light spreading around until you feel that you’ve become the light.
- Gently take your attention to the 5th chakra where you can imagine the color of the sky and sea – blue. Feel how this color already lies within yourself. Starting from the throat, let this color spread the positive energy of truth, purity, cleanliness, and peace around you. See this light, feel its energy all around you.
- Moving up to the 6th chakra which is also called the third-eye chakra, owing its name to its positioning between the brows. Allow the vibrations of this chakra to work in a calm but powerful color – indigo – which is also taken to be the color of wisdom, knowledge, and spirituality.
- The last chakra left to be covered is at your crown where you imagine the white energy spinning around that chakra point. Visualize and feel this pristine light unblocking this last chakra, making way for the negative energies to exit your body.
- Keep breathing naturally and relax your body with every breath.
- When you feel ready and totally relaxed, open your eyes softly.
- Sit in the new relaxed and renwed state you've cultivated for a minute before getting up.
Remember that this guided chakra meditation script doesn’t intend to search for positive energy outside. That energy is already present within each of us. We just need this practice to release the negative energy time and again to allow for the free flow of positive energy for a happier and healthier mind and body.