In this crazy rat race, many of us find it difficult to stop and pay attention. Not for work that we obviously need to focus on but for other things that are equally as important. Things that are key to our being! To begin with, our body and mind. Of course, looking at yourself every morning in the mirror is not enough to be "mindful". Because of turbulent life events, we rarely pay attention to the mind. Therefore, never reaching a state of flow.
Spiritual practices, such as meditation can play a magical role in overcoming this. Just closing your eyes for a few minutes can help you become more mindful as it allows you to take a break from the hustle and bustle of mundane life. Not to forget, lend to total relaxation for the mind and body. Some would ask the clichéd question -"Where's does the time go?" Let me tell you this can be achieved in just 3 minutes!
Yes, you’ve read that right. By following the guided body scan meditation script below, you can reap immense benefits, all in just 3 minutes of your day! So why wait? So let's get started.
Body Scan Meditation Script
Below is a free script to guide you through the body scan meditation technique. Good news if you are a beginner, this is a more straightforward practice than other types of meditation as it is easy to follow and implement. Using this technique regularly can energize each part of the body, offering complete relaxation to the muscles by relieving tension therein, and increase the mind's ability to focus.
This technique can be done in any body posture. Best to do it in your most comfortable position where it is sitting down on the floor, on a chair, or even lying down. The goal is to be at ease with yourself, so you're in a relaxed state and can let go. So let us begin!
- Sit down comfortably, preferably cross-legged on the floor, but if you are not comfortable that position, you can use a chair with back support. A large meditation cushion can also be helpful.
- Close your eyes and gently bring your mind's attention to your body. Start by becoming aware of your body in the sitting posture. Feel your body weight on your surroundings.
- Breathe deeply and relax as much as possible. With each deep breath, take in more oxygen to invigorate your body. While exhaling, feel a sense of deep relaxation.
- Start by focusing your mind on the feet, notice that they are placed on the floor. Feel the sensations of your feet as they touch the floor. Their weight on the ground, the pressure they exert, the vibrations they exude, and the heat they emanate on the earth.
- Now move up to your legs, notice how there placed on your surroundings. Feel their pressure, pulsation, and weight.
- Move up to your spine and feel your back leaning against the chair.
- Now shift your focus gently to the belly area. Feel the sensations in your stomach. If it is tightened or tense, let it loose and take another deep breath.
- Focus your attention on the hands. Do they lie on your thighs or in your lap? If they feel tense or tight, clasped or folded, gently let them loose, allowing them to relax.
- Move up to the arms and bring your attention to any sensations that you experience. Noticing your shoulders and loosening them if they are stiff.
- Focus on the neck and throat area. Soften them up as well, allowing them to relax.
- Relax your jaw muscles. Focus attention on your face and experience the sensations in your facial muscles. Allow them to relax if they feel stiff.
- Now become aware of your entire body, as it remains seated. The quick scan is now complete, where it is now time to just observe and become aware of the whole body, as it is present. Take another deep breath.
- Whenever you feel ready, breathe deeply and with a soft smile on your face, gently open your eyes. You do not need to hurry through this. It is best to take as much time as you wish to enjoy being in this state of mindful consciousness. After all, it is rare that you get this chance to become aware even with eyes closed.
Benefits of Body Scan Meditation
At the end of the 3-minute practice, you would experience immense energy filling up your entire body, invigorating you from deep within. This energy naturally gets exuded in all tasks that you carry out throughout the day. At a deeper level, the practice is extremely helpful in bringing the mind to the present moment. This very moment is all that is real – not the past or the future over which we have no control. We can only improve our present to experience joy and contentment. Sadly, we rarely focus on the present, thanks to the mysterious ways the mind works.
Practicing guided body scan meditation regularly can help enhance the mind's focus, increase attentiveness, and make you self-aware of your entire body and the mind. Becoming mindful of life's minute events even in daily routine can take you a long way in improving the way you approach them. You would experience an amazing sense of ease going about these tasks, much improved than before.